Not Another Year in Afghanistan
|There are almost twice as many U.S. troops in Afghanistan now as when Barack Obama became president. We're still spending over $10 million every hour (even during a government shutdown) for a war in Afghanistan that has now completed its 12th year and entered its 13th. This spending drains rather than fuels the U.S. economy.
Inflicting more war on Afghanistan has involved the killing of thousands of civilians. Experts in the U.S., British, and Afghan governments agree that this is making us less safe, not protecting us.
1. AFP: Hagel Hopes Deal By End October On U.S. Forces
3. PERI: Employment Effects of Military and Domestic Spending
4. The Nation: The Deaths of Afghans
5. Fred Branfman: Even Warriors Say Wars Make Us Less Safe
6. Washington Post: Security Agreement with the U.S. Still on Hold
7. CBS: Afghanistan: U.S. Blocking Deal on Future Security Pact
8. Ann Jones: The Forgotten War: 12 Years in Afghanistan
9. Polling Report: Afghanistan
President Obama is trying to negotiate an agreement with corrupt lame-duck President Hamid Karzai to keep some U.S. troops in Afghanistan indefinitely, with immunity from prosecution for crimes and the right to continue attacking Afghans including with raids on their homes at night. This could mean nine major U.S. military bases remaining in Afghanistan at a huge cost in dollars, lives, safety, and environmental destruction for decades to come.
If you are not in the U.S. please click here.