The "Burma Human Rights and Freedom Act" (S.1186) would:
- Authorize numerous nonviolent steps, but no use of force;
- Block U.S. assistance to the Burmese military while it is engaged in the current abuses;
- Authorize desperately needed humanitarian assistance for hundreds of thousands of Rohingya refugees;
- Hold Burmese military officials accountable for their crimes via economic sanctions and visa denials;
- Reinstate import restrictions on "genocide gems" jade and rubies, whose extraction and trade is dominated by Burmese military business interests.
Click here to urge your U.S. senators to support and co-sponsor the "Burma Human Rights and Freedom Act" (S.1186) today.
After doing this action, please use the tools on the next webpage to share it with your friends.
This work is only possible with your financial support. Please chip in $3 now.
-- The RootsAction.org Team
P.S. RootsAction is an independent online force endorsed by Jim Hightower, Barbara Ehrenreich, Cornel West, Daniel Ellsberg, Glenn Greenwald, Naomi Klein, Bill Fletcher Jr., Laura Flanders, former U.S. Senator James Abourezk, Frances Fox Piven, Phil Donahue, Sonali Kolhatkar, and many others.