For the past two years, Mumia Abu-Jamal has suffered a severe case of Hepatitis C. On January 3rd, federal court judge Robert Mariani ruled that not treating prisoners infected with Hepatitis C is barbaric and unconstitutional. He ordered the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections (DOC) to treat Abu-Jamal with the Hep C cure within 21 days.
Please click to email DOC Secretary John Wetzel and the Governor of Pennsylvania.
Please also call DOC Secretary Wetzel
* Tell him to immediately give the Hep C cure to Mumia and all other PA prisoners with the deadly disease.
* Ask him NOT to appeal the court ruling.
Call: 717-728-2573 or 717-728-4109
Mumia Abu-Jamal, 62, is serving life without parole despite having been subjected to extremely unfair legal processes and trial. He now faces the same vulnerability to premature death as do thousands of elderly in US prisons today:
All this constitutes medical neglect and malpractice.
- Mumia reported in early 2015 a full-body outbreak of eczema, with blisters and bloody sores. Treatment by prison doctors produced a severe reaction. His skin ruptured.
- Prison officials failed to properly diagnose Mumia’s growing health crisis.
- On March 30, 2015, Mumia went into diabetic shock and fainted in the prison.
- When hospitalized, he had a blood-sugar level just shy of the 800 figure that registers diabetic coma. His sodium was also a life-threatening 168. Throughout his stay he was shackled to his bed.
- Two days after his hospitalization, he was transferred to the prison infirmary, despite his very bad condition. On April 1, Mumia’s family reported that he was shaking uncontrollably, had labored breathing, had lost an enormous amount of weight, and may now have kidney stones. Yet the prison has been feeding him dangerous foods like pasta, despite special prison diets available for those with medical needs.
Only a strong public response can save Mumia's life.
Click here to join the many voices of those calling for action now by sending an email to the Pennsylvania Secretary of Corrections and Governor.
After taking action, please forward this message to your friends. You can also share it from the webpage after taking the action yourself.
-- The RootsAction.org Team
P.S. For information on who Mumia is and why he should not be in prison, see BringMumiaHome.com.
P.P.S. RootsAction is an independent online force endorsed by Jim Hightower, Barbara Ehrenreich, Cornel West, Daniel Ellsberg, Glenn Greenwald, Naomi Klein, Bill Fletcher Jr., Laura Flanders, former U.S. Senator James Abourezk, Coleen Rowley, Frances Fox Piven, Lila Garrett, Phil Donahue, Sonali Kolhatkar, and many others.
> Abolitionist Law Center: Federal Court Orders DOC to Provide Hepatitis C Treatment to Mumia Abu Jamal
> Westword: Hep C: The Deadliest Killer in Colorado Prisons Is a Curable Virus