Fixing the U.S. election system will take a massive popular movement and numerous reforms. Here are the first few to build pressure around.
Click here to join RootsAction and a huge coalition advancing this agenda.
Legislation in the United States Senate could move us in the right direction. The We The People package (S. 6 and S.J.Res. 5) would:
- Send to the states for ratification a constitutional amendment to overturn Supreme Court rulings including Citizens United.
- Shine a light on secret special-interest campaign donations.
- Close the revolving door between Wall Street and bank regulators.
Click here if you support these ideas.
The Fair Elections Now Act (S. 1538) would:
- Elevate the voices of everyday Americans by amplifying small contributions with limited matching funds.
- Break down barriers so Americans of all walks of life have a greater opportunity to run for office.
The Voting Rights Advancement Act (S. 1659) would:
- Restore and increase protections against voting discrimination.
- Help ensure our elections are safe and accessible to all voters.
Sign the petition to your senators: We need a democracy that puts people first!
Partnering in this effort are:
Brave New Films
California Clean Money Action Fund
Campaign for America's Future
Chesapeake Climate Action Network
Color of Change
Food & Water Watch
Franciscan Action Network
League of Conservation Voters
National Organization for Women
Organic Consumers Association
Oil Change International
People Demanding Action
People For the American Way
The Power Shift Network
Please forward this email to everyone you can.
This work is only possible with your financial support. Please chip in $3 now.
-- The RootsAction.org Team
P.S. RootsAction is an independent online force endorsed by Jim Hightower, Barbara Ehrenreich, Cornel West, Daniel Ellsberg, Glenn Greenwald, Naomi Klein, Bill Fletcher Jr., Laura Flanders, former U.S. Senator James Abourezk, Coleen Rowley, Frances Fox Piven, Lila Garrett, Phil Donahue, Sonali Kolhatkar, and many others.