Stand Up For Truth: An International Week to Support Whistleblowing
June 1-7, 2015 -- StandUpForTruth.org
Democracy needs truth-telling. People in many countries are creating Stand Up For Truth activities during the week of June 1-7, 2015 -- to move toward a culture of openness and truth as well as security for those who take the risk of disclosing information that authorities want to keep hidden.
You can stand up for truth in many different ways. Here are some:
Like this FaceBook page. Add your photo holding paper reading "Stand Up For Truth."
Retweet this tweet.
Find an event near you, or create an event for June 1-7 or later. We'll help you promote it.
Participate individually or as a group in a webcast with whistleblowers and their supporters. These speakers are waiting to speak with you. (Click names for bios.)
- Former State Dept. official Matthew Hoh and author and RootsAction campaigner David Swanson -- 9 pm ET (Eastern Time, GMT -5) June 2
- Journalist, activist, and lawyer Trevor Timm and investigative journalist Tim Shorrock -- 9 pm ET June 3
- Director of media for the Institute for Public Accuracy Sam Husseini and author and law professor Marjorie Cohn -- 9 pm ET June 4
- NSA whistleblower William Binney and NSA whistleblower Kirk Wiebe -- 8 pm ET June 5
- Media critic and RootsAction cofounder Jeff Cohen and Author and communications professor Robert McChesney -- 9 pm ET June 5
- Writer Kevin Gosztola and EPA whistleblower Marsha Coleman-Adebayo -- 5 pm ET June 6
The webcasts will each last 60 minutes. To listen and type in questions, just point your web browser here (bookmark it now) and turn up your volume. Everyone is encouraged to use the webcast and to type in questions there. It requires a computer and will not work on a phone. If you can't use a computer, there are a very limited number of lines on which you can phone in. Just call 1-844-472-8237 (toll-free in U.S.)
You can also ask these whistleblowers and truth tellers questions beforehand or during the webcasts by tweeting them to @Roots_Action.
The webcasts are sponsored by RootsAction Education Fund and ExposeFacts.
You can also catch Bill Binney and Marcy Wheeler live in Chicago on June 2nd, and in Minneapolis/St. Paul on June 3rd.
Also check out the events planned for Europe with Thomas Drake, Dan Ellsberg, Jesselyn Radack, Coleen Rowley, and Norman Solomon.
Possible activities for your events:
Watch and discuss Shadows of Liberty. We can get you the film and related materials.
Watch and discuss Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Government Surveillance.
Watch and discuss this video profile of William Binney.
Watch and discuss The Invisible Man about CIA whistleblower Jeffrey Sterling.
Set up a photo booth and add a photo of every person at the event to this FaceBook page while they're each holding a piece of paper reading "Stand Up For Truth."
Hold a public forum to discuss issues of whistleblowing, surveillance, civil liberties and truth-telling.
Consider rallies, picket lines, vigils and other nonviolent protests at appropriate government buildings and corporate offices.
-- The RootsAction.org Team
Initiating Organizations: ExposeFacts, Freedom of the Press Foundation, International Modern Media Institute, Networkers SouthNorth, RootsAction.org.