Mumia Abu-Jamal, 61, is serving life without parole despite having been subjected to extremely unfair legal processes and trial. He now faces the same vulnerability to premature death as do thousands of elderly in US prisons today:
All this constitutes medical neglect and malpractice.
- Mumia reported three months ago a full-body outbreak of eczema, with blisters and bloody sores. Treatment by prison doctors produced a severe reaction. His skin ruptured.
- Prison officials failed to properly diagnose Mumia’s growing health crisis.
- On March 30, Mumia went into diabetic shock and fainted in the prison.
- When hospitalized, he had a blood-sugar level just shy of the 800 figure that registers diabetic coma. His sodium was also a life-threatening 168. Throughout his stay he was shackled to his bed.
- Two days after his hospitalization, he was transferred to the prison infirmary, despite his very bad condition. On April 1, Mumia’s family reported that he was shaking uncontrollably, had labored breathing, had lost 80 pounds in the last three months, and may now have kidney stones. Yet the prison has been feeding him dangerous foods like pasta, despite special prison diets available for those with medical needs.
Only a strong public response can save Mumia's life.
Click here to join the many voices of those calling for action now by sending an email to the Pennsylvania Secretary of Corrections and Governor.
After taking action, please forward this message to your friends. You can also share it from the webpage after taking the action yourself.
-- The RootsAction.org Team
P.S. RootsAction is an independent online force endorsed by Jim Hightower, Barbara Ehrenreich, Cornel West, Daniel Ellsberg, Glenn Greenwald, Naomi Klein, Bill Fletcher Jr., Laura Flanders, former U.S. Senator James Abourezk, Coleen Rowley, Frances Fox Piven, Lila Garrett, Phil Donahue, Sonali Kolhatkar, and many others.