An enormous coalition is bringing a massive petition to Washington with demands for serious reform coming out of Ferguson.
This is the type of effort at which we have succeeded in the past.
Click here to quickly add your name and be part of it.
In the wake of Ferguson, we must secure a positive transformation in nationwide policing. We're calling on the executive branch of the federal government to take definitive steps to protect civil and human rights in every community by setting a higher standard of policing, strengthening accountability mechanisms, and securing critical reforms to end abusive, militarized, and biased policing targeting black and brown communities.
Click here to sign the petition to President Obama, the Department of Justice, the Department of Homeland Security, and the Pentagon.
We'll be delivering it soon.
The petition calls for:
1. A DOJ investigation into discriminatory policing, excessive force, and death or injury by police in every state in the country.
2. A public national database of police shootings, excessive force, misconduct complaints, traffic and pedestrian stops, and arrests.
3. Mandating of Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission in every state.
4. An executive order that creates a strong and enforceable prohibition on police brutality and discriminatory policing.
5. Increased funding for the DOJ's Office for Civil Rights.
6. Divestment of federal anti-drug grants and federal funding from police departments that demonstrate abuse of power.
7. Massive reinvestment in community controlled and based policing practices.
8. Support for passage of the End Racial Profiling Act.
9. Strict limits on asset seizure without due process and the transfer of any military equipment to local law enforcement under the 1033 program.
10. Guidelines that ensure that equipment is not used on non-violent protesters, and an end to the requirement that military weaponry be used within a year.
We can make these steps in the direction of responsible policing happen right now if we all act together. Please click here.
After signing the petition, please forward this message to your friends.
-- The RootsAction.org Team
P.S. RootsAction is an independent online force endorsed by Jim Hightower, Barbara Ehrenreich, Cornel West, Daniel Ellsberg, Glenn Greenwald, Naomi Klein, Bill Fletcher Jr., Laura Flanders, former U.S. Senator James Abourezk, Coleen Rowley, Frances Fox Piven, and many others.
P.P.S. This work is only possible with your financial support. Please donate.