"We can be sure about one thing," investigative journalist Marcy Wheeler reported days ago. "The Obama White House has covered up the Bush presidency's role in the torture program for years."
The new uproar about CIA spying on the Senate intelligence committee could open a political door to challenging the surveillance state and perpetual war.
Click here to tell Congress and the White House that immunity for torturers must end.
The president should fire the CIA's director, John Brennan, and insist on a fundamental change in direction.
The CIA spying on Senate staffers is indeed unacceptable. But so is spying on peace activists. So is mass surveillance. So is torture. So is holding prisoners without trial. So is killing people with drones. So is waging horrific and illegal wars.
Tell Congress and the president that superficial changes aren't enough -- it's time to fix the underlying problems.
The White House says it has been withholding thousands of documents from a Senate investigation of torture because of "executive confidentiality issues." There's no such thing in the Constitution. The White House should hand over the documents and declassify the report on CIA torture.
But information isn't enough. We need action.
Click here to tell President Obama to bring the CIA under democratic control.
The president should:
- Hand over the CIA documents to Senate investigators.
- Declassify the CIA's report on its involvement in torture.
- Fire CIA director John Brennan.
- Order the Justice Department to stop violating the law and start enforcing the Anti-Torture statute and the War Crimes statute, and to open an investigation into drone killings.
Click here to also tell the Senate that its intelligence committee should declassify its own report -- and tell Congress to create a special committee to investigate the past dozen years of illegal wars, official deception, lies to the public, torture, rendition, wrongful imprisonment, warrantless spying and subversion of democracy.
If we the people don't insist on such actions, who will?
After signing the petition, please forward this message to your friends. You can also share it from the webpage after taking the action yourself.
-- The RootsAction.org Team
P.S. RootsAction is an independent online force endorsed by Jim Hightower, Barbara Ehrenreich, Cornel West, Daniel Ellsberg, Glenn Greenwald, Naomi Klein, Bill Fletcher Jr., Laura Flanders, former U.S. Senator James Abourezk, Coleen Rowley, Frances Fox Piven, and many others.
P.P.S. This work is only possible with your financial support. Please donate.
* Marcy Wheeler: White House Covering Up the Presidency’s Role in Torture
* McClatchy: White House Withholds Thousands of Documents
* Elizabeth Goitein: Obama Is Protecting Senior CIA Officials and Himself
* Norman Solomon: The Feinstein Syndrome
* Charles P. Pierce: Obama, the CIA, and the Limits of Conciliation
* WarIsACrime.org: Ongoing Torture