| Tell the Senate: We are facing a national emergency and public health crisis. Click here to tell your Senators to pass COVID relief now.
Check out the percent of wages currently subsidized by governments in response to COVID1:
Japan: 100% for small businesses; 80% for large firms
Netherlands: Up to 90%
Norway: Up to 90%
Germany: Up to 87%
France: Up to 84%
United Kingdom: Up to 80%
Canada: Up to 75%
United States: 0%
The COVID-19 pandemic is raging, and millions of people are teetering on an economic cliff. Come December 26, 16 million people in the United States will have lost unemployment benefits. And on New Year’s Eve, the eviction moratorium will expire.
Click here to wake up the U.S. Senate!
The consequences of millions of people losing lifeline income, unable to pay back rent, while businesses and schools shut down again? More sickness, as families move into overcrowded conditions. More families being forced to decide whether to heat their home or feed their children, or sink further into debt. More children falling behind.
And as we approach this holiday season cliff, what is the Senate doing?
So far, nothing.
The House passed a comprehensive pandemic relief package in mid-May and again in October, but the Senate has failed to act.
The Senate must immediately pass legislation which:
Write to your U.S. Senators and demand that they act now to respond to our national emergency by providing critical COVID-19 relief for our families and communities.
- enacts emergency rental assistance and prevents evictions, utility shutoffs, and homelessness, especially for children.
- extends pandemic unemployment benefits and restores the $600/week pandemic unemployment compensation.
- provides more cash aid and food assistance.
- funds health services for COVID testing and treatment and for vaccine development and distribution.
- provides funding to every state throughout our country to ensure our essential workers -- teachers, first responders, child care and health care workers -- are not furloughed or laid off throughout the winter, as COVID cases are spiking.
After signing the petition, please use the tools on the next webpage to share it with your friends.
This work is only possible with your financial support. Please chip in $3 now.
-- The RootsAction.org Team
P.S. RootsAction is an independent online force endorsed by Jim Hightower, Barbara Ehrenreich, Cornel West, Daniel Ellsberg, Naomi Klein, Bill Fletcher Jr., Laura Flanders, former U.S. Senator James Abourezk, Frances Fox Piven, Phil Donahue, Sonali Kolhatkar, and many others.
1. Source: Public Citizen.