Rex Tillerson as Secretary of State used the State Department as a marketing firm for weapons dealers1 and openly proposed to conquer one-third of Syria and to overthrow the government of Venezuela.2
But Tillerson occasionally dragged his feet, on weapons deals3, on antagonizing North Korea4, and on shredding the nuclear agreement with Iran5. These are issues on which the fate of millions, or billions, of lives depend.
Trump has nominated current CIA Director Mike Pompeo to replace Tillerson, and current CIA Deputy Director Gina Haspel to replace Pompeo.
Click here to email your Senators to urge them to refuse confirmation of both of these nominees.
Pompeo has overseen drone killings, torture, and the whole array of unaccountable CIA activities. He has openly advocated for the bombing, and overthrowing the government, of Iran.6 Pompeo is clearly eager to head off the threat of peace in Korea.7
Haspel is best known for directly overseeing brutal torture, and making sadistic comments to her victims.8 Last month a federal judge finally ruled that a private contractor can be sued for assisting in U.S. torture.9 But what about government officials who led the way? Shouldn't they be prosecuted for their crimes, rather than promoted to positions of extreme power?
Email your Senators to help the urgent effort to block these disastrous nominations.
The warmongers are grabbing yet more power and pushing the Doomsday clock even closer to midnight.
We have to make a stand for giving diplomacy the barest sliver of a chance.
Say no to Pompeo and no to Haspel now!
After doing this action, please use the tools on the next webpage to share it with your friends.
This work is only possible with your financial support. Please chip in $3 now.
-- The RootsAction.org Team
P.S. RootsAction is an independent online force endorsed by Jim Hightower, Barbara Ehrenreich, Cornel West, Daniel Ellsberg, Glenn Greenwald, Naomi Klein, Bill Fletcher Jr., Laura Flanders, former U.S. Senator James Abourezk, Frances Fox Piven, Lila Garrett, Phil Donahue, Sonali Kolhatkar, and many others.
> Common Dreams: 'Recipe for War': Experts Warn Pick of Pompeo Intensifies Risk of US Attack on Iran
> Common Dreams: Trump Picks 'Actual Torturer' Gina Haspel as Next CIA Director
1. Cato: Risky Business: The Role of Arms Sales in U.S. Foreign Policy
2. Zero Hedge: Tillerson Fired As North Korea Talks Approach, Differences Over Iran
3. Washington Post: White House angry with Tillerson over Gulf arms-sales delays
4. Washington Post: Tillerson vs. Pompeo: Two very different views of North Korea
5. CNN: Tillerson's dramatic plan to save Iran deal, keep up pressure
6. HuffPost: Trump CIA Pick Hyped Facts On Iran, Downplayed Costs Of War
7. Daily News: CIA director Mike Pompeo says U.S. making 'no concessions' before North Korea talks
8. Common Dreams: Trump Picks 'Actual Torturer' Gina Haspel as Next CIA Director
9. Shadowproof: Judge: Iraqis Sufficiently Allege Torture By Military Contractor And May Proceed With Lawsuit