Meticulous researchers have documented that U.S. drones are killing many innocent civilians in Pakistan, Yemen and elsewhere. Drones are making the world less stable and creating new enemies. Their remoteness provides those responsible with a sense of immunity.
We're close to 100,000 signatures to ban weaponized drones. Add yours here.
Former Directors of National Intelligence Michael Flynn and Dennis Blair have called the drone wars counterproductive, as has an internal CIA report. Former Counter-Terrorism Adviser Michael Boyle agrees, as does former Vice-Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General James Cartwright, and former commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan General Stanley McChrystal.
Thousands have been killed for no good reason, many of them civilians. Weaponized drones are no more acceptable than land mines, cluster bombs, or chemical weapons. The world must renounce and forbid their manufacture, possession, or use. Violators must be held accountable.
The United States is moving in the wrong direction by marketing and selling weaponized drones to other nations.
Click here to add your name to the cause of creating a global armed-drones ban.
The petition you'll be signing reads:
We, the undersigned organizations and individuals, urge
- the United Nations Secretary General to investigate the concerns of Navi Pillay, the U.N.'s top human rights official, that drone attacks violate international law -- and to ultimately pursue sanctions against nations using, possessing, or manufacturing weaponized drones;
- the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court to investigate grounds for the criminal prosecution of those responsible for drone attacks;
- the U.S. Secretary of State, and the ambassadors to the United States from the nations of the world, to support a treaty forbidding the possession or use of weaponized drones;
- President Barack Obama, to abandon the use of weaponized drones, and to abandon his "kill list" program regardless of the technology employed;
- the Majority and Minority Leaders of the U.S. House and Senate, to ban the use or sale of weaponized drones.
- the governments of each of our nations around the world, to ban the use or sale of weaponized drones.
Click here to sign, as have the following organizations:
Alaskans For Peace and Justice
Arlington Green Party
Association of Roman Catholic Women Priests
Bill of Rights Defense Committee
Bloomington Peace Action Coalition
Brave New Foundation
Campaign for the Accountability of American Bases
Charlottesville Center for Peace and Justice
Christians for Peace and Justice in the Middle East
Coalition for Grassroots Progress
Drone Free Zone
Evanston Neighbors for Peace
Fellowship of Reconciliation
Fresno Center for Nonviolence
Global Network Against Weapons and Nuclear Power in Space
Granny Peace Brigade-NY
Hoosiers for Peace and Justice
Indiana Anti-Drone Project
Interfaith Communities United for Justice and Peace
Jeannette Rankin Peace Center
Montrose Peace Vigil
National Campaign for Nonviolent Resistance
Nevada Desert Experience
No Drones Network
The Northampton Committee to Stop War
Office of the Americas
On Earth Peace
Peace of Mind Project
People United for Peace of Santa Cruz County (PUP)
Progressive Democrats of America
Saint Lucy's Justice and Peace Committee
Santa Cruz Against Drones (SCAD)
Simple Gifts Inc.
Sitkans for Peace and Justice
Sustainable Action Network
United for Peace and Justice
United National Antiwar Coalition
Veterans For Peace
Veterans For Peace Chapter 10
Veterans For Peace Chapter 14
Veterans For Peace Chapter 27
Veterans For Peace Chapter 91
Veterans For Peace Chapter 154
Veterans For Peace, Phil Berrigan Memorial Chapter, Baltimore, MD
Voices for Creative Nonviolence
War Resisters League
Wasatch Coalition for Peace and Justice
West Suburban Faith-based Peace Coalition
Women Against Military Madness (WAMM)
Women's International League for Peace and Freedom, U.S. Section
World Can't Wait
Yorkshire Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament
After signing the petition, please forward this message to your friends. You can also share it from the webpage after taking the action yourself.
This work is only possible with your financial support. Please chip in $3 now.
-- The RootsAction.org Team
P.S. RootsAction is an independent online force endorsed by Jim Hightower, Barbara Ehrenreich, Cornel West, Daniel Ellsberg, Glenn Greenwald, Naomi Klein, Bill Fletcher Jr., Laura Flanders, former U.S. Senator James Abourezk, Coleen Rowley, Frances Fox Piven, Lila Garrett, Phil Donahue, Sonali Kolhatkar, and many others.
1. "Even the Warriors Say the Wars Make Us Less Safe," War Is A Crime.
2. "Get the Data: Drone Wars," Bureau of Investigative Journalism.
3. Missy Ryan, "Obama administration to allow sales of armed drones to allies," Washington Post, February 17, 2015.